What Are The Types Of Breast Implant?
Breast implants are prostheses. Most people prefer two types for breast implants: the first is silicone gel and the second is saline water. The breast implants are placed to increase the size and to enhance the shape of breasts by using a prosthesis. Silicone type for breast surgery is in demand and widely used one.
- Silicone Gel – This gel’s (made up of plastic) consistency gives a natural appearance and also when a crack happens in implants still silicone gel stays in the implant layer. But for proper care, continuous discussion with the surgeon is necessary even after the implant. Women with the age of 22 or above can definitely undergo this procedure.
Symptoms of broken breast implants:
- Size and shape becomes different
- Rash on the breast
- Unbearable pain
- Lump formation
When silicone ruptures :
- Immediately visit a doctor.
- The doctor will conduct some physical tests.
- After that, some imaging tests will be done such as MRI, ultrasound, etc.
The doctor will recommend a new breast implant if one ruptures.
2. Saline Water Breast Implants
Saline implants are comparatively less expensive. It is sterile in nature. This implant type is equally risky in spite of being filled with just saline water.
Symptoms of saline breast implant leakage :
- Formation of bacteria
- Formation of yeast
- Formation of mould
This surgical procedure’s goal is to make the breast’s size and shape bigger. Breast augmentation is widely known as an augmentation mammoplasty. Typically implants are either positioned in the chest muscle from the underside or through breast tissue. Sometimes the incision is made in armpits also. The implant is a pouch filled with saline water or silicone gel. On average, implants stay for 10-15 years depending on the material used and aftercare. Breast augmentation is completely different from a breast lift as breast lip is just a touch up ( tightens the hanging boobs) of the breast, breast augmentation (changes the entire shape) is a whole makeover.
Who Should Select Breast Augmentation?
- The one who has small breasts since teenage or early adulthood.
- After weight loss
- After breastfeeding and pregnancy
Breast Augmentation Surgery
his is an outpatient surgery and usually done in a doctor’s clinic or hospital.
BEFORE THE SURGERY:
- The doctor will give you options of different size implants from which you can choose any. Highly recommended are round and contoured.
- Ask the doctor about what supplements and medicines you can take after the surgery.
DURING THE SURGERY:
- From intravenous sedation, general and regional anesthesia, the patient can choose any. But doctors often suggest general anesthesia.
- If no complications and risks will be seen throughout the procedure, the patient can go home 1-2 hours after the surgery.
- Small cuts will be made either from belly button ( saline only), axillary (underarms or armpits), periareolar (the black area around your nipples)
- A patch or pocket will be formed and a steady breast implant will be placed inside the breasts.
- For saline implant – The doctor will add a saline water solution after positioning the shell.
- Later breast implants are sewn with stitches or sutures followed by applying a bandage with surgical tape.
- Some swelling will happen but will go off in a week or two.
- The lines of surgery will be prominent initially but it will leave with the time.
- You will be kept under observation for 1-2 hours and when anesthesia fades, the doctor will discharge.
AFTER THE SURGERY :
- You can start wearing a sports bra with the bandage but avoid normal bra.
- The list of painkillers will be given to you so buy them.
- You can continue with the normal routine and work only if it isn’t demanding physical and strenuous work.
- Normal walk with a pet or kids is fine but don’t bend down and don’t hit the gym as all these will take more time to heal and simultaneously can cause complications.
Breast Augmentation Recovery
One can expect complete recovery in 2 -3 months.
- Stop sleeping on your stomach as it gives the unnecessary pressure to the breast implants and can break also.
- Don’t skip any medicines which are prescribed by the doctor and complete them in a given time.
- Initially, wear comfortable and loose clothes as tight clothes can cause rubbing and as a result swelling will increase.
- Diet should be balanced and take in more protein, complex carbs, vitamins and healthy fats.
Cost Of Breast Augmentation
- The average cost of breast augmentation is $3500-$4000.
- The insurance company doesn’t cover the cost except if a person has gone through breast cancer or something similar.
- But if you include hospital stay cost, anesthesia, medication and appointments, all these can apparently increase the cost and take it to the $4500-$5000.
Gummy Bear Implants
These are newly launched implants and original name is teardrop-shaped implants as the primary material is gel its pet name is a gummy bear. The noteworthy thing about this implant is they hold the shape easily which is quite difficult in silicone or saline implants. Gummy bear implants durability says it all and provides fewer chances of leakage and rupture.
If you want extremely enlarged breasts then the gummy bear is a most reliable option. The materials used for these implants are silicone gel and silicone shell. It gives a natural appearance to the breasts and doesn’t make them rigid. It doesn’t even break when shell is in a bad condition. Also are considered to be safe in today’s date but screen tests and physical tests should be done once or twice in 6 months.
The total cost of the gummy bear implant is $7000-$13000 ( entire package in some countries or just surgeons fees in some countries).
Breast Implant Illness
Studies have shown that breast implants’ illness can likely cause a number of diseases such as scleroderma and arthritis, so the primary risk of autoimmune diseases is there less or more.
Breast implant illness also causes breast implant-associated lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) it is not technically breast cancer but a damaged immune system, if not treated on time it may lead a patient to death and intense complications. But surgeries such as radiation therapy and chemotherapy came out to be very effective in treating such problems. Its biggest symptom is lump formation in the breast, if that happens with you when visiting a doctor becomes very essential. However, survival rates of breast implant illness are very high, almost 90% of women came out safely from this.
Some common risks are swelling, pain, infection and scarring.
Other complications are :
- Skin necrosis
- Calcium deposits
- Nipple void and issues
- Capsular contracture
- Which do Tests help To Diagnose Breast Implant Illness?
PET SCAN & Ultrasound
- How To Treat Breast Implant Illness?
For treatment, the wise thing is to talk to the doctor and with your permission the doctor will remove the affected breast, to avoid further complications. Start taking antibiotics if the symptoms and complications are minor for uncontrollable symptoms surgery should be done immediately.
Breast implant illness also causes breast implant-associated lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) it is not technically a breast cancer but a damages immune system
- What Causes Breast Cancer?
Breast cancers are caused by gene mutations continuous division and multiplication and it results in unmanageable cell growth. Breast cancer has seen breast cells and mostly stays in lobules. Lobules handle the milk secretion. Its symptoms are frequent breast pain, skin redness in the breast area, the tissue becomes dense and thick.
- Can One Breastfeed With Implants?
Yes, maximum women can breastfeed with breast implants, but it also depends on which type of implant is used and where the cut is made. Breastfeeding can also change the shape and size of your breasts even after augmentation. Cut made in areola can become a hurdle in breastfeeding but cuts of belly button and in the underarms are harmless and never come in between the breastfeeding. But after breastfeeding you may need another surgery because either skin loses its moisten, or it becomes saggy and ruptures also.
- How Long Does Breast Implant Surgery Take?
As it is an outpatient surgery that doesn’t take much time 2 hours are more than enough.
- What Are The Other Options For Breast Augmentation?
Apart from gummy bear, silicone and saline solution implants, other types are :
- Textured Implants – This procedure almost vanishes the possibility of a thick scar capsule. It gives roughness and it has the capability to keep the surface intact and doesn’t move around the implant.
- Smooth Implant – Gives a softer surface and naturally moves with the implant.