Buccal Fat Removal in Turkey
Buccal fat is the fat between the cheekbones and jawbones that help make up the shape of the face. It is present in every human being but not in the same proportions and is usually inherited from parents. This fat tissue cannot be affected by any exercise, medication, or diet. In most people with an excess amount, it causes the face to be rounder and more puffed up.
Buccal fat removal (bichectomy) is a surgical procedure that removes fat from that area of the face. This removal can have the effect of highlighting the bone structure of the face, especially the cheekbones and the hollowed-out area between the cheeks and the jawline. It is a type of elective surgery, which means that the decision to remove the fat is a personal one. It is also important to weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.
Who can get buccal fat removal surgery?
Some people who feel that the roundness of their cheeks creates a facial profile that they find undesirable. Having a bichectomy can increase the appeal an individual has of their face, and reduce the feeling of chubbiness that they feel about their face. Bichectomy is not advised for individuals with an already lean face, or individuals that have passed a certain age. This is because the quantity of buccal fat naturally diminishes with age. The procedure is also done by a licensed medical professional with special training in plastic surgery.
What happens during buccal fat removal?
Before booking an appointment, the client must consult with the doctor that will be in charge of the procedure. The doctor will discuss what the individual can expect from the surgery, give recommendations and inform the client of the risks of the procedure. The doctor will also examine the face, get a medical history, and conduct tests like blood tests, blood pressure, etc. The doctor will finally answer any questions the client may have before giving them an appointment for the surgery. The surgery is done in a hospital or a clinic, and the patient is usually discharged on the same day of the procedure. The steps of the surgery include:
- A local anesthetic agent is injected into the skin to numb the area and prevent the client from feeling pain. The anesthetic does not cause sedation so the client is awake during the procedure. General anesthesia may also be used depending on the clinic and the surgeon’s preferences.
- A small incision is done on the inside of the mouth on both sides to expose the buccal fat pads.
- The exposed fat pads are then pressed gently and cut out.
- The incisions are then closed with sutures, often absorbable sutures. Then a post-operative appointment is booked.
After the procedure, the patient is educated on the post-operative care of the surgical sites; they also give the client medications to use and a mouth rinse. Swelling, bruising, and some numbness at the surgical sites are normal for a few days after the surgery. They usually fade as the healing progresses, the healing time is about 2-3 weeks, but the final effects are not noticed till after some months.
When should the doctor be called?
Buccal fat removal is generally a safe procedure, but in the case that the patient experiences any of the following signs, they should immediately contact their health care provider. They include:
- Excessive bleeding
- Abnormal taste in the mouth that persists
- Any signs of infection like pus build-up, fever, reddening, or increase in temperature in the surgical site
- If the healing is asymmetrical or slow
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
Buccal fat removal in Turkey
Choosing to carry out buccal fat removal (bichectomy) in Turkey has a lot of advantages. The surgeons are very experienced, the procedure is not so expensive, and after the surgery, patients can enjoy the beauty of Turkey. There is also government support for medical tourism. Istanbul, the historical city which is also the economic capital of turkey and a famous tourist destination is a world-recognized medical tourism destination. It is recognized worldwide for the quality of its clinics, the experience and professionalism of its surgeons, and the attractive rates of its procedures.
The rates can be up to 50% or sometimes even up to 80% cheaper than what can be found in the UK. This is so even with the addition of flight costs, 4-star hotels, and the cost of the buccal fat removal. Due to the nature of the surgery, some clients may even take the opportunity to conduct other medical procedures like dental implants, a face lift, hair grafting, or even nose surgeries which may help in improving the appeal of the client’s already enhanced beauty. The approximate cost of conducting a buccal fat removal in Turkey is around 1000-1500 euros.
What are some of the advantages of having the procedure in Turkey?
Turkey has some of the best plastic surgeons in the world; they also have lots of experience due to the number of people that visit the country for medical tourism each year. The procedure is also more affordable than in countries like the USA and the UK. Some clinics also provide affordable all-inclusive packages for their clients which include:
- Hotel room booking – The hotel is already booked before the arrival of the client and is booked throughout their stay.
- Transportation – This is done with a special VIP car and an assigned driver that is familiar with the town.
- A check-up and regular follow-up – This is usually provided in the package at no extra cost to the client.
- Personal translator/host – They act like an assistant to the client. They help with consultation and sorting out the hospital requirements like registration, discharging, and check-up.
This package aims at maximizing the client’s comfort and relaxation. Everything is arranged by the clinic and the client is just left with showing up, getting their procedure, and recuperating with nothing to worry about.