Laser resurfacing is a method which removes the dullness from the skin, reduces puffiness from the eyes, fades wrinkles, sun blisters, acne, scars and removes all the facial blemishes. It might require the involvement of cosmetic surgery and can be done separately also, depending on patients skin and preference.
Widely used types for laser resurfacing are :
- CO2 Laser Resurfacing – Repetitive use of this surgery is in removing scars, wrinkles, in tightening the skin and intense skin flow.
- Erbium Laser Resurfacing – Shallow skin laws, mild lines and wrinkles of hands, legs and neck, two procedures come under erbium laser resurfacing the one is ablative and another is non-ablative, either is fine.
- Fractional Laser Resurfacing – It is well-known for its efficient and convenience which it provides to patients. When numerous small beams release and enter the skin as a thermal column to treat the pores and other dull particles, a fractional laser is done. Fractional Laser Resurfacing divided into two types :
- Fractional Ablative – It pierces the skin very precisely by considering the depths and it passes from the surface to the dermis in numerous ways by examining skin layer, at a time.It has ability to remove damaged outside layers of skin.
- Fractional Non – ablative – It directly moves towards the dermis, with the ease in regenerating collagen, by not harming other layers.
Fractional laser resurfacing became a benchmark when people started noticing early recovery and minimum side effects.
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE AND AFTER LASER RESURFACING
Highly specialised dermatologists and cosmetic surgeons perform laser resurfacing. It puts a focus on the outer layer of the skin and side by side gives warmth to inner layers also because of this collagen production occurs. Newly formed collagen replaces the old one and gives tightness to the skin and makes it shiny and smooth.
First and foremost thing is before laser surfacing a person should be confident about the treatment and he/she must know whether their skin is capable or not and once you are fully prepared some procedures start one month before the actual treatment as surgery is divided in different parts. Doctors initially make the skin bearable to handle the pain. It helps to reduce anxiety, fear and also decreases the chances of risk factors and side effects.
The use of anesthesia and sedation is done by the surgeon on the day of surgery to give patients less discomfort and pain during and after the surgery, and to make the area of surgery numb temporarily. Also, if the area is large then doctors may go with the general anesthesia. If the patient’s skin is extremely oily then it is obvious that more bacteria and dust sticks and for its removal, doctors use specific creams, gels and oils. Then slowly the doctor starts working with the laser on the marked area of the skin.
In the end, the doctor will do the dressing with the cotton and will bandage it with the cotton by placing the skin in its original position.
After surgery, one should give ample time for recovery to fight against the side effects. Also one should clean the treated part on the next day of the surgery for at least 2-3 times. Recovery time depends on the skin area which was used during the treatment. If the treatment is done in the entire face then it might take 15-20 days to recover and if the small area is involved then hardly it takes a week or so.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE SKIN RESURFACING SURGERY AND WHAT CARE SHOULD BE TAKEN ?
- Swelling, red skin and little peeling is very normal after the treatment to give relief one should use 2 cushions under the face and should use cold water and ice cubes.
- If you are a homemaker or you work from home then it becomes easy for you to recover early as outside pollution, germs and bacteria does not harm the skin.
- After skin resurfacing, one must use doctors suggested facial soaps, cleanser, scrubs which have good vinegar content.
- While going in sunlight the generous use of sunscreen to protect the delicate facial skin from ultraviolet rays is very important. Also, it is important to ensure that sunscreen contains SPF 30 .
- If anything is not urgent, then it advisable to not go out in afternoon time ( 11am – 4pm)
WHAT ARE THE RISK FACTORS OF LASER RESURFACING?
Non-ablative skin resurfacing has very few and minor risks as compared to ablative, some of the common risk factors are below :
- ACNE – Whenever you start using local and the products which are present in the prescription, serious acne starts appearing within a month or two after the surgery.
- SCARS – If care is not taken then stubborn scars become visible first mildly then heavily on the face.
- INFECTION – Due to ablative laser resurfacing, growth bacterial infection starts.
- Bags under the eyes
- Skin colour changes
- Itching and burning sensation
- Certain pills can cause acne and scar such as accutane
Doctors might ask you about the past history of any disease and also can suggest to drop the idea of laser resurfacing if :
- Your skin tone/complexion is very dark
- You are pregnant
- You gave birth to baby a few months ago
- You are a victim of herpes virus
- The tendency to protect skin from a cold sore is very low
- The immune system is not strong
HOW TO CHOOSE A GOOD DOCTOR FOR LASER RESURFACING OR FOR FACIAL REJUVENATION?
To give laser surgery a good start and good end, a skilled and reputed doctor is a must, but to find a reputed and experienced dermatologist for a procedure is a daunting task but once you start researching about surgeons, inquiring about others, it becomes very easy and effortless. You may call the doctor or send email and ask your queries to them.
One deserves to know about the hospital, doctor and staff before such a delicate surgery and the money they spend on the surgery.
- Ask the doctor whether he/she is board certified or not.
- Ask surgeons, co-surgeons and staff about their experience.
- Ask about the qualification. ( for such surgeries doctor with the master degree should be prefered)\
- What sort of cleanliness and hygiene the hospital/clinic, doctors and staff follow before any surgery?
- The total number of sessions before and after surgery?
- Do they keep records or booklets of the past clients along with the client’s pre and post-surgery pictures?
If research and interviewing don’t work then straightly ask your family doctor or any general physician. Friends and relatives who have done cosmetic or Laser resurfacing in the past can also guide you very well. If you get convincing answers then you can proceed with a particular surgeon otherwise you can move towards the next search.
COST OF LASER RESURFACING/ REJUVENATION
The average cost for skin resurfacing is based on lots of things such as type of laser, doctors popularity, total time taken for the surgery, takeaway kits, etc.
But on average, it is somewhere around $1500 to $3500. Non-ablative treatments are less time consuming and less expensive so its cost is approximately $2000 while ablative surgeries might cross $4000 in some countries if we include 2-3 sessions in a package then.
This laser treatment usually helps to remove permanent/ stubborn tattoos and sunspots. Little pain occurs but it goes away right after the surgery. This surgery is very cheap and can be done for $500-$700. Some infection, swelling, redness and tingling/burning sensation is common after pico laser.
- How Does Laser Resurfacing Treatment Work?
When skin is treated by a tiny laser light beam by parting it in 1/10th from the hair follicle and it pierces the skin in the deeper layer, without hurting the superficial layer, sometimes youthful and firm skin starts coming.
- Which People Should Choose Laser Resurfacing Treatment?
A person who is healthy and doesn’t take any pills of diabetes, blood pressure or cholesterol, who is disease-free and ladies who are not in their pregnancy period or the one who is not breastfeeding (lactation). Also, people with oily, pimples filled skin along with childhood scars, chickenpox spots, facial blemishes, wrinkles, scars, allergy and infection covered face.
- How Much Time Does A Laser Resurfacing Treatment Take?
Small laser or non-ablative might take 30-45 mins and major ones/ablative takes 2-3 years. So one should stay prepared for this much sitting.
- For How Many Years Does Laser Resurfacing Lasts?
Some treatments require 3-4 sessions in a year such as Fraxel, acne, wrinkles, etc. and it lasts for 4 -5 years. While ablative treatment is a one-time treatment and lasts for 6-7 years also depends on factors like sun exposure, products which one is using, diet, exercise, etc.
- Name Some Treatments For Acne Scar?
IPL, Micro-needling, PRP, Non-invasive ResurFX technology by Lumenis are some of the effective treatments to get rid of acne scars.