Reasons to Choose Turkey for Medical Tourism
Traveling to other countries for health care has become the new trend in the medical field.
Once known to dominantly be carried out by people in underdeveloped or developing countries searching for better health care, medical tourism has begun changing course. Now, even people in highly developed parts of the world leave to other parts.
Why is this? The study has shown that people in developed countries such as America, Canada, and England travel out of their countries to get high-quality health care, treatments, and surgeries at cheaper rates. Many of them want to avoid the high tax rate placed on medical treatments and avoid the long waiting list in their countries.
There is also the issue of privacy, especially for famous people, and the need to feel a new environment, culture, and atmosphere that can be therapeutic. It is also a means to get a holiday and a new experience.
Health tourism is becoming so popular. Its demand is increasing so much that its global market will hit approximately $179 billion in 2025.
Medical Tourism in Turkey
Turkey is a growing hub of medical tourism, especially its capital city, Istanbul. The country is ranked as one of the top health tourism destinations.
Located between Asia and Europe, Turkey is a strategic spot for most Europeans and Asians to revolutionise their medical system.
With her government’s active plans in developing her health system, there is foresight to record over 2 million patients from all around the world each year by 2023. This figure seems to be rapidly picking up. As of 2012, Turkey recorded approximately 270,000 medical tourists, and in 2018, the number reached up to 700,000.
Not only is her government laying out predictions for the increase of foreigners for their health services, but they are also coming up with strategies to spur up this increase. Several JCI accredited and worldwide recognized health centers are developed with hi-tech facilities. The cost of health treatments is relatively minimal compared to other countries. The government canceled VAT for all foreigners coming in for any health service.
With all these strategies laid down, Turkey is fast becoming an attraction to many medical travelers worldwide.
Why Visit Turkey for Medical Treatments?
There are several reasons why health services are top-notch for foreigners in Turkey.
1) A Leading Player in Health Facilitation.
The country is taking time and resources to invest in its health sector. Because of this, it is quickly transforming to be the destination of choice for an expanse of medical treatments and procedures.
2) Worldwide Recognized Medical Centres.
Turkey is developing several hospitals that are running on an international standard. Currently, Turkey has 32 Joint Commission International(JCI) accredited hospitals, mostly located in Istanbul. Not only do her hospitals bag outstanding accreditation standards, but some are in affiliation with top US medical centers such as John Hopkins Medicine and Harvard Medical Center.
3) Lastest and Hi-Tech Facilities
The hospitals in Turkey are very well equipped with the latest medical technologies needed for all medical treatments. Your medical your in this country will offer you one of the best health care you have ever experienced with their hallmark accommodations, hi-tech infrastructures, and world-class equipment.
4) Expert Doctors, Surgeons, and Clinical Support Staff.
When it comes to the medical staff in their hospitals, they are highly qualified and skilled. Most of their doctors are trained in Western countries, build experience and expertise, and come into the country with an amassed wealth of knowledge. They come highly recommended, and you can have no fears. The same goes for their paramedics and nurses.
5) Fluent English Speaking Staff
The hospitals with medical tourism base employ highly skilled staff in English. Furthermore, since most of their doctors are Western-trained, English is hardly an issue. So, you do not need to fear the language barrier.
6) Minimal Health Service Cost
Unlike other developed countries with good medical care and a health tourism base, treatments in Turkey cost way lesser. There is a significant saving cost of at least 40 to 70% compared to other Western countries like the US.
Turkey gives you quality health treatments and surgeries at relatively lower prices compared to other countries. For instance, plastic surgeries in the USA costs about $5,000 to $15,000. Meanwhile, in Turkey, you can get them from $2,000 to $5,000.
Turkish Airlines give discounts to every medical traveler. Their accommodations are subsidized for medical tourists. Also, Turkey’s Ministry of Health approved the abolition of VAT payment by her government for every foreigner coming in for medical treatment.
These benefits are hardly ever given in other countries with the medical tourism industry.
7) Limitless Treatment Offers
In Turkey, you are offered a wide range of medical care, treatments, and procedures, unlike some countries that specialize in a few areas of medicine. Her doctors are skilled in various medical fields; plastic and reconstructive surgeries, organ transplants, oncology, fertility, hair transplants, mental health therapies, and so much more.
8) Low Waiting Lists & Fast Response
You can be scheduled for medical surgery procedures at a maximum of 2 weeks. However, your waiting time can take up to 18 months or more in most Western countries. Turkey appreciates the value of medical tourism, so they give extra preference to their foreign patients.
For routine treatments, hospitals will attend to you almost immediately.
9) Options for Special Services
When you need an extra unique service tailored for you, Turkey can provide you with that. They put their medical tourists in high-esteem, and private rooms, private chefs, private nurses, translations, concierge services, etc., are always made readily available for any traveler who needs them.
10) Touristy and Relaxation Site
Turkey is a country of rich culture and many fascinating sites to see. If you want to take a break from always being in a hospital or after completing your treatment, you take time to your country, see new places, and rebuild your strength.
Medical Treatments & Procedures In Turkey.
Below is a list of featured treatments Turkey offers:
- CT Scans
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Radiology And Medical Imaging
- General Checkups
- Hair Loss and Transplants
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeries.
- Organ Transplants
- Eye Surgeries
- Stem Cell Transplants
- In-Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
- Coronary Angiography
- Coronary Angioplasty
- Double Valve Replacement
- Single Valve Replacement
- Valve Repair/Replacements And Balloon Valvotomy
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Reduction
- Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia)
- Brow Lift (Thread Lift)
- Cleft Lip And Palate Surgery
- Eye Lid Lift – Blepharoplasty
- Eyelid Surgery – Upper And Lower
- Full Tummy Tuck – Abdominoplasty
- Jaw Augmentation
- Rhinoplasty (Nose Repair/Reconstruction)
- Scar Removal
- Corrective Jaw Surgery
- Crowns And Bridges
- Abdominal Wall Defects
- Root Canal Treatment
- Tooth Whitening
- ICSI (Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection)
- IUI (Intra Uterine Insemination)
- Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)
- Abdominoplasty & Liposuction
- All Hernia Repair
- Abdominoplasty: Mini Tummy Tuck
- Abnormal Chest X-Rays
- Brain Tumour Removal
- Breast Cancer (CMF, FAC, FEC, 4 AC) – Chemotherapy
- Hodgkin’s Lymphoma (ABVD) Chemotherapy
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy
- NHL (R-CHOP)-Chemotherapy
- Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma (CHOP) – Chemotherapy
- Cataract Surgery
- Glaucoma Surgery
- Diagnostic Knee/Shoulder/Ankle/Elbow/Wrist Arthroscopy (Arthroscopic Procedure)
- Total Elbow Replacement
- Total Hip Replacement
- Cochlear Implants
- Total Knee Replacement
- Total Shoulder Replacement
- Liver Transplantation
- Balloon Valvuloplasty Diagnosis And Treatment Of Snoring And Sleep Apnea Syndrome
- Otoplasty/Ear Deformity Repair And Reconstruction
- Reconstruction For Congenital Deformities Of The Face
- Reconstruction For Congenital Deformities Of The Hand
- Partial Dentures
- Gum Surgery
- Extraction – Wisdom Tooth
- Surgery for Fractures Of The Jaw
- Ascending/Descending/Abdominal Aorta Aneurysm Repair
- Breast Reconstruction
- Oculoplastic Service
- Epilepsy Surgery
- Haemorrhoid Surgery
- Spine Fixations
- Retinal Detachment
- Cornea Transplantation
- Lung Biopsy
- Cosmetic Penile Surgery
- Diagnostic Hysterectomy
- Sinus Augmentation
- Soft Tissue Allograft
- Joint Reconstruction
- Facial Prosthesis
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Neurological Rehabilitation
- Rheumataismal Rehabilitation
- Pediatric Rehabilitation
- Geriatric Rehabilitation
- Cardiovascular Rehabilitation
- Oral Prophylaxis – Cleaning And Polishing
- Dental Surgery
- Dental Implants
- Dentistry And Orthodontics
- Physical Medicine And Rehabilitation
- Physical Therapy
- Neuropsychiatric Diagnosis
- Otolaryngology – Ear, Nose, And Throat (ENT)
- Pediatric Orthopedics
- Gastroenterology, Hepatology, And Nutrition
- Lasik with Intralase (All-Laser LASIK)
- Vitrectomy, and many more
To make travel arrangements to Turkey, you need a valid passport and other documentation presented to the Turkey Consulate in your country. When the passports and documents—as required by them—is validated, you will be issued a visa.
Some countries are permitted entry visas on arrival in Turkey, while some countries in South America require no visas for 90days.
To arrange medical travel to Turkey, it is advisable to employ the services of a medical travel agency, as they are popular in helping people gain visas and be on a trip to their medical tourism destination with not many protocols.
Cost of Medical Tourism In Turkey
When planning a medical trip to Turkey, the total cost is dependent on several factors. These factors include:
- Type of medical treatment
- Flight cost
- Visa documentation
- The hospital
- The accommodation
- Travel duration, etc.
One cannot estimate a total cost due to these factors.
To find out, you should use a medical travel agency as they can help you process everything with an estimate given to you.
Anavara is a medical facilitation and tourism agency affiliated with various hospitals and surgeons in several health tourism countries.
We can help you answer any questions you have.