What are Porcelain Veneers or Composite Veneers?
How many times have you tried to cover your smile, feeling shy about your yellow stained teeth? If you are someone who is facing this issue, then porcelain veneers are the right option for you. To define, porcelain veneers also called dental veneers are custom-made wafer-thin shells that are designed to cover the frontal region of teeth in order to improve appearance. These custom-made shells that are made from resin composite materials or from porcelain are bonded to the front of the teeth thus changing the teeth’s color, shape, length as well as size. Composite veneers can better mimic the light-reflecting properties of natural teeth and can resist stains.
How much do veneers cost?
Porcelain veneers cost usually depends upon the part of the country the person lives and also depends on the amount of work a person wants to be done on it.
- Cost of porcelain veneers per tooth in the USA ranges from $500 to $1,900 based on the quality. On the other hand, cost of porcelain veneers per tooth in the India ranges from INR 8000 to INR 15000
- Cost of zirconium-based porcelain veneers per tooth in the USA ranges from $700 to $2,000 based on the quality. On the other hand, cost of zirconium-based porcelain veneers per tooth in the India ranges from INR 9000 to INR 16000
Types of veneers:
There are different types of veneers a dentist suggests and few of them are:
- Direct composite veneers
These are veneers that are made up of a composite resin material and are applied directly to the person’s teeth. This type of veneers usually doesn’t take very long for the dentist to prepare the person’s teeth for application and this procedure is usually considered minimally invasive.
- Indirect composite veneers
The main difference between the direct as well as the indirect composite veneers is the application process. It is not the actual material used. Indirect composite veneers can usually withstand more abrasions as well as resist fractures when compared to the direct composite veneers. Apart from that, they also tend to cost more than the direct composite veneer usually.
- Porcelain Veneers
These types of veneers are usually custom made for the person’s teeth out of porcelain. The dentist normally makes the impressions out of the person’s teeth and when ready, he will cement the thin porcelain shells to the front of the person’s teeth after which they shape them as naturally as possible.
Preparing teeth before placing veneers
Before a person get’s his veneers, these are few preparation steps that happens with the dentist:
- A preliminary appointment will be taken place in order to discuss the right options for the patient as well as to discuss on how many veneers to be placed
- If teeth are crooked, a dentist may suggest you to wear braces before he places the veneers
- Dentist normally suggest X-ray in order to evaluate the teeth’s health of the patient. Signs of tooth decay or gum disease are evaluated during the step
- In order to get accurate sizing of veneers, especially at the next appointment, dentist generally trims down about half a millimeter of tooth before they take the impression of the teeth
- The impression of the mold is then sent off to the lab for creation of the veneers. Normally it takes one or two weeks for the dentist to create the mold in order to get the veneers back from the lab
Treatment procedure on placing Porcelain or Composite Veneers:
These are few of the treatment procedure that happens once the impression or mold is ready and is ready to be placed:
- Dentist normally cleans the teeth of the patient thoroughly thus preparing them for the application
- The thin layer of the enamel then removed by the dentist to help the material stick on the teeth
- In the case of direct veneers, the dentist will etch the enamel of teeth in order to help with adhesion, after which the adhesive glue is applied on to the teeth. Dentist then cures or quickly hardens the layers of the composite resin with a light
- In the case of indirect veneers, the dentist fabricates the veneers outside of your mouth. After which they’ll place the composite veneers on teeth and then use light to harden the adhesive
- Most of the people don’t require anesthesia during the treatment procedure. Yet if the patient does, once the anesthesia wears off, the person can return to work after that.
Recovery process after placing dental veneers:
Unlike most other dental procedures, the recovery process after placing teeth veneers doesn’t take a lot of time. The person can eat and chew as they normally would once the veneers are cemented. In most of the cases, once the porcelain veneers are applied, the patient may notice a little rough spots, which normally wears down after a few days of normal eating as well as brushing of teeth. However the dentist can smooth them out in case they don’t wear off completely after several days of the treatment procedure.
Precautions to be taken after teeth veneers are placed:
These are few precautions to be taken in order to ensure that the veneers can get the longest lifespan out of them possible. Few of the precautions include:
- Refraining from chewing hard objects like pen, ice or finger nails
- Refraining from using teeth to open packaging or condiment packages
- Stop using of frontal teeth to eat harder foods rather using only the back teeth
- Wearing mouth guards while playing sports
- Getting a splint or retainer to protect veneers if you the habit of grinding or clenching your teeth at night
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- What are the benefits of porcelain veneers?
One of the biggest benefit of veneers is improving the appearance of teeth thus giving a brighter and more even smile
- How much is a full set of veneers?
A full set of veneers mostly depends on the brand name your dentist suggests, your area’s cost of living as well as the expertise of the dentist who places your teeth veneer
- How much does Hollywood Smile Veneers cost?
On an average, the costs of a Hollywood smile veneers would range between $3000 to $5000.
- How much do lumineers cost?
Generally, Lumineers may cost between $800 – $2,000 per tooth for a patient.
- Is cheap porcelain veneers good?
A dentist may suggest a cheap alternative for teeth veneers. However it is not long lasting unlike the standard porcelain or composite veneers that are pricey