Germany and Healthcare Tourism
Alert! Are you someone who wants to travel from your home country to another place to avail the best treatment? Are you someone who is looking out for quick access to world-class medical specialists to treat your’s or your loved one’s illness? Then look no further than Germany!
Germany being the fifth largest economy in the world in terms of GDP is a beautiful place with a rich history and great culture. Apart from this, Germany has also become a great travel destination, especially right after the World Cup in 2006. In addition to that, Germany has also become a popular destination for healthcare tourism. Though not really the cheapest medical tourism destination, compared to other industrialized nations, the cost of treatment is significantly lower in the country.
German Healthcare System Facts (Healthcare in Germany facts):
Some of the healthcare system facts of Germany are as follows:
- Germany offers a state healthcare insurance plan which almost covers 92% of the entire population of the country
- The healthcare system of Germany is highly decentralized with the presence of 16 municipalities (Also called Länder). They share the responsibility for hospital planning along with the government
- Public hospitals in Germany usually belong to the Länder. They are normally managed with a private or public based law structure
- Doctors in Germany have strict control access to the hospital care facility in the German healthcare system
- German doctor cures cancer – One of the German-born physician Max Gerson has developed a dietary-based therapy and claimed to have cured cancer
German Medical Tourism Statistics:
- Estimates shows that 150,000 to 250,00 people visit Germany for medical or surgical treatments even though there are no proper statistics
- Based on data, annually the country usually receives more than 1.2 billion euros especially from medical tourism alone
- Almost 255,000 people from more than 175 countries come to Germany for medical treatment
- Statistics show many Kuwait nationals come to Germany to get treatment
- The Ministry of Health has approved many people requesting overseas treatment in Germany. An average of around 650 cases came per month. However, the figure was 3,900
German Laws for Tourists:
As legislated by the German law, hospitals in Germany should mandatorily undergo quality surveillance programs, especially under government supervision. This includes certifications as well as accreditations with the German Institute for Standardization like DIN, TEMOS and KTQ-GmBH
Why do people from overseas travel to Germany for treatment?
- High quality of healthcare in Germany to patients
- The country has strict ethical standards
- Technology in medical care is highly advanced
- Hospitals in Germany has an excellent reputation worldwide
- Clinics have state-of-the-art equipment for treatment
- Standard of care is very high in the country
- Doctors in Germany are highly qualified in their expertise
- The German healthcare system has a good cost-to-quality ratio
- People have quick access to specialists to avail treatment
- Nurses and hospital staffs are highly trained
List of treatments people travelling to Germany avail:
People travel to Germany for the following treatments:
- Cancer treatment
- Fertility treatment
- Cardiology and cardiac surgery
- Orthopedic surgery
- Neurology and neurosurgery
- Obesity treatment
- Kidney ailments treatment
- Alternative treatment for different maladies
- Ophthalmology treatment
Best Hospitals in Germany for Medical Treatment (Top destination in Germany):
Some of the best hospitals in Germany for medical treatment are as follows:
- Cardiology Hospital: University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich and The University Hospital Duesseldorf
- Oncology Hospital: University Hospital Bonn and Charite University Hospital in Berlin
- Neurology Hospital: University Hospital Tuebingen and University Hospital Frankfurt am Main
- Orthopedic Hospital: Charite University Hospital in Berlin and University Hospital Bonn
Why is the treatment in Germany is so effective?
We all know the term “German Quality” refers to and is an indicator for high standards. There are many reasons why doctors in Germany hospitals, as well as clinics, always achieves best results. Some of them are as follows:
- Training of Doctors:
Doctors in Germany usually receive an excellent education. No wonder, why some of the best specialists around the world come to Germany to practice medicine in reputable clinics. Therefore, it has come to the highlight that doctors’ qualification in Germany is much higher than that of most other countries.
- Technical Equipment in Clinics:
Hospitals in Germany have some of the most expensive medical equipment which most institutions in different countries can only envy. This gives them the possibility to perform accurate diagnostics as well as plan successful treatment. With the help of the equipment, ultramodern operations can also be carried out with its help.
- Latest Treatment Methods:
German Doctors successfully apply different treatment techniques that are not implemented in clinical practice in most other countries yet. German develops its own therapeutic technique. Apart from that, the medical achievements of other countries are also equally implemented in German hospitals.
Travelling to Germany for medical tourism pros and cons:
Some of the pros of travelling to Germany for medical tourism include:
- German hospitals have good medical standards
- Doctors are well qualified
- Success rates of complex surgery in Germany performed by doctors are very high
- Germany has a highly stable society, less political unrest and low crime rate
Some of the cons of travelling to Germany for medical tourism include:
- The cost of medical treatment is high while in Asia and Eastern Europe it is cheap
- The government puts almost no emphasis on privacy. For example, capes and towels are not provided especially during the inspection. In many cases, sick patients need to bring all of their belongings.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- Do I need a visa for Germany for medical tourism form the US?
Yes, you would require. However, if you are a citizen of countries that have established a visa-free regime under the Schengen Area, then you don’t require a visa.
- How is Germany cancer treatments?
Hospitals as well as cancer clinics in Germany offer the most advanced treatment procedures that include Photo Dynamic Therapy, Hyperthermia and Insulin Potentiated Chemotherapy – IPT to patients.
- What are the few top destinations in Germany for medical tourism?
Munich, Düsseldorf, Berlin, Frankfurt Rhine-Main region and Hamburg are few top hotspots in Germany for medical and surgical tourism.
- What are a few benefits of undergoing surgery in Germany?
Better quality and good treatment results are few benefits and reasons why people go to Germany for medical treatment
- How to obtain tourism insurance in Germany?
You can buy medical tourism insurance protection for Germany while applying for the visa at a very low cost from AXA Assistance or Europ Assistance.