Bentall procedure is immensely used and in demand for aortic root and aortic valve. When a protuberance (aneurysm) covers the blood vessel walls it expands the aortic root and layers of the aorta can get separated, the reason behind this is a disturbance in arterial walls and leads to cracks in the aorta. The body’s […] Read More
Top Doctors For Bentall Procedure Treatments
Top Hospitals For Bentall Procedure Treatments
Bentall procedure is immensely used and in demand for aortic root and aortic valve.
When a protuberance (aneurysm) covers the blood vessel walls it expands the aortic root and layers of the aorta can get separated, the reason behind this is a disturbance in arterial walls and leads to cracks in the aorta. The body’s largest artery is the aorta, it is 30-32 cm long and 2.5-3 cm wide. Most common methods for treatments are aortic bypass and the valve graft. Treatment of Valsalva graft is done by removing aorta root and aortic valve.
Bentall Procedure Complications?
- A group of infections forms either at one place or in different areas of the body
- Breakdown or rupture in coronary arteries
- Development of Dismembering aneurysm
- Coronary ostial dissection
- Aortic root pseudoaneurysm
- Pulmonary embolism
- Perigraft seroma
- To replace aortic valve instant development of ventricular septal glitch
Bentall Procedure Steps
- As this is a very critical operation it is usually done in OT ( operation theatre) under the presence of several specialists.
- Doctors initiate the treatment by giving general anaesthesia, so that patients become unconscious during the procedure to make them oblivious to pain.
- The incision is made in the aorta and then the affected part of the aorta and aortic valves is taken out.
- A detachment of the coronary arteries is done gradually.
- Then the graft valve is placed in the middle and one side of it is joined with the heart and next side with the aorta.
- Two cavities are made in valve graft and eventually coronary arteries are rejoined.
- The total duration of the operation ranges between 4-5 hours.
After Procedure :
- Until your heart, body temperature, blood pressure and overall body start getting normal you will be kept under observation in OT or CCU for a couple of days.
- Then for another few days, you will be shifted to the cardiac ward for overall observation.
- Then for some months, you have to keep an eye on :
- Stitches and surgery area – Do not put your hands in the surgical area as your hands might create infection and makes the wound more intense. Medical staff will do the dressing and change the bandage every day or every other day.
- Avoid skipping meals – You have undergone a big surgery and it is obvious that your digestive system responds differently but eat balanced food especially the one which is rich in iron and increases the Hb level.
- Discomfort during sleeping – Sleep straight as some pain can happen while changing the side and to sleep in reverse position i.e. on the stomach is not advisable at all it can cause stress in the surgical area.
Bentall Procedure Recovery
- Proper recovery takes 2-3 months still it typically depends on the success rate of surgery, age of the patient, gender, patients health.
- Heavy exercises and driving both are not recommended for 1 month at least. Hire a caretaker or nurse if you are living alone since lying down and waking up will need someone’s support, so as during bathing and dressing.
- Whenever you leave the hospital, the doctor will give you a list of what is allowed and what is not, follow everything which is prescribed your recovery of aortic root replacement depends on that.
Do’s And Don’ts For Aortic Regurgitation
- Involve in some sort of exercises be it high intensity or low at least for 30-45 minutes/day.
- Go to a doctor and check whether you have a rheumatic fever if it then does follow the doctors advise.
- Eat healthy food which should include all coloured veggies, all coloured fruits, whole grains such as oats, buckwheat and wheat.
- Do not smoke
- Do not avoid doctor's appointments
- Do not skip checking blood pressure level
- If your age is above 60 then do not avoid any serious signal which is alarming you in the form of symptoms.
Aortic Bypass Surgery Recovery Period
- It takes 4- 6 weeks to fully recover.
Defibrillator Replacement Surgery Recovery Time
- It takes 5-7 weeks to fully recover
1. What Is Onyx Heart Valve?
It is a mechanical heart valve which is designed with advanced material to stop 60-70% bleeding in aortic root replacement surgery. If you are not an old adult and your age is below 65 then for your bentall procedure doctor may use onyx heart valve.
2. What Are Risk Factors Involved With Bentall Procedure?
- Lung root damage
- Heart failure
- Affects mental health for short period
- Vision gets blurred and unclear
- Kidney problems
3. How Long Is Aorta?
It is 30-32 cms long and 2.5 -3 cms wide it is the largest artery of the body.
4. What Are The Prerequisites Prior To Bentall Procedure?
- echocardiogram test
- X ray test is also essential
5. If The Aorta Of Heart Is Damaged Which Function Of Heart Will Be Affected First?
Arteries which are rich in oxygen and which supply blood to all the major parts of the body will be affected first.