What is Breast implant revision?Also called breast augmentation revision, breast implant revision is a surgical procedure for the removal and/or replacement of breast implants to correct complications after breast augmentation or implant-based breast reconstruction surgery. This procedure is also to correct an unsatisfactory result from either of the surgeries as mentioned above.
What are the causes for breast implant revision?Causes of breast implant revision are:
- Breast implant deflation (decrease in volume of the breast). Saline implants can rupture or leak, leading to deflated, sagging breasts.
- Change in breast size. The desire to go smaller or bigger is a common reason for breast revision surgery, one of the commonest.
- Capsular contracture.
- Implant malposition.
- Pain from capsular contracture.
- Scar tissue tightening around the breast area .
- A person who is unhappy with the breast implant’s size, shape, and appearance.
- A person who is healthy and physically stable to undergo the revision procedure.
- A person concerned about the integrity and condition of the breast implant.
- A person who is suffering from capsular contracture, rupture of the implants.
Breast Implant Revision Procedure:
Prior to the surgeryBefore the procedure, the plastic surgeon will examine the patient’s breast to determine the status of the current implants. The doctor might suggest some radiological investigations such as an X-ray or Mammogram of the breast to check if there is any leakage or damage to the implant . In addition, the doctor suggests a few blood tests before the procedure. Also, the doctor will take a complete medical history of the patient, examine the patient thoroughly, records the patient’s previous history of any surgeries, and then discusses the treatment options in detail with the patient. Finally, the plastic surgeon will suggest the implant suitable for the patient and counsel the patient.
ProcedureThe anesthetist will administer general anesthesia, where the patient is unconscious throughout the procedure. The surgeon makes an incision in inconspicuous areas to minimize the scarring. A new implant replaces the old one. The type of implant determines the method of inserting and positioning the implants. Incision and layers exposed are sutured, and a small drain tube is placed beneath the skin to drain excess fluid or blood. The entire procedure might take about 60 to 150min, depending on the severity and complexity of the surgery.
After the procedureAfter the procedure, the nurses move the patient to ICU for close observation. Once the patient is hemodynamically stable, the patient moves to the recovery room for further treatment and care. The drain tubes are removed after 3-4days, the patient’s breast is wrapped with a gauze dressing, and an elastic bandage is advised for the patient to support the breast and minimize the seroma collection . The patient is discharged home after a few days of hospital stay. At the time of the patient’s discharge, the doctor prescribes a few medications such as pain killers and antibiotics to prevent implant infection. After going home, the patient is advised to rest, and the patient might require 1-2 weeks to get back to work. The patient needs to avoid vigorous activities and prevent heavy object lifting for 3-6weeks after the procedure . The patient should have a regular follow-up with the doctor, where the doctor examines the progression and healing of the wound.
- How much does a breast implant revision cost?
Depending on the type of implant chosen, type of hospital, skills of the surgeon and experience, geographic location, and complexity of the surgery the cost might vary. Anavara helps the patient, to choose the best hospital and best surgeon at a better cost. Kindly visit https://anavara.com/ for further queries and details.
- What are the risks and complications associated with the procedure?
The most common complications noticed after the procedure are:
- Bleeding, seroma (fluid collection under the skin)
- Failure of the implant, asymmetry
- Anesthesia risk
- Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma (BIA-ALCL)
- Poor healing of the tissue
- Persistent pain, breast numbness, and many more .
- Is breast implant revision painful?
The patient might experience pain in the operated area for a few days after the procedure, for which the doctor prescribes pain killers to reduce the pain. As the wound heals, the pain will eventually fade away.
- How long will a breast implant revision last?
Most breast implants are guaranteed for a lifetime. On average the saline or silicone implants may last for 10-20years. But up to 20% of people have their implants removed within 10years .
- What are the most common types of breast implant revision procedures?
The most common types of breast implant revision are:
- Remove and replace the old implant with the new one.
- Capsulectomy (removing the scar tissue) followed by capsulotomy (creating incisions to adjust scar tissue)
- Deflating saline implants before undergoing corrective breast surgery .
- Concurrent breast lift or reduction
- What are the most common symptoms of breast implant illness?
The most common symptoms are listed below:
- Swelling, redness, and pain around the implanted area.
- Fluid collection around the implant area.
- Capsular contractures.
- Change in breast shape and color.
- Fever .