Gingival contouring includes gum line reshaping by trimming gum tissues which aren’t necessary and excess, to enhance and strengthen smile and teeth health.
It is also known as gum sculpting, teeth shaving, and gingivoplasty. Gum grafting or gum restoration is done where gums are missing and the tooth is exposing more than required, which is a reverse process, and the mostly missing area is refilled by taking apart from the palate area. The cosmetic reason is the main, behind choosing gum sculpting. A high lip line usually reveals the gumline and teeth more than needed. Also, the altered passive eruption can be responsible, because in this condition gums extend and hides teeth happens due to the margin’s disarrangement. Genes play its part over here as well, so excess gumline or no gumline more or less depends on such factors also.
Gum Contouring Surgery
- Two dental experts perform gum reshaping either together or individually, the one is a periodontist and another cosmetic dentist.
- No two or multiple sessions are involved in this, treatment is done in a one go.
- To temporarily paralyze the gum area, local anesthesia is used so that you don’t feel the pain and inconvenience during the procedure.
- The dentist will use laser, scalpel, or radiosurgery to give the procedure a kick start.
- Then the doctor will trim unwanted gumline and will work on teeth exposure.
- To put a grip on gum tissues, the sutures will be applied.
- In the reverse condition, if the requirement of highlighting gumline arises then the extra part is taken from the palate to give it a good length. This process is widely known as a gum recession.
- Gingival contouring procedure takes 60-120 mins.
Before And After The Gum Contouring
- The dentist will explain to you by marking the margin of the gumline to make you understand how will your gumline change after the procedure.
- The dentist will inform you if bone removal will be needed for permanent results.
- Take all the necessary medicines which the dentist has suggested to you during the first appointment.
Aftercare And Recovery Of Gum Contouring
- The first and foremost thing is to take ample rest after heading home as your recovery process depends on this.
- Your recovery may take days/weeks or a whole month.
- Just eat extremely soft and easily chewable and digestible foods in this healing phase.
- You can drink and eat milk, yogurt, scrambled eggs, oats, protein shake, etc.
- Take medicines like Tylenol and ibuprofen, by asking the dentist. Aspirin is not in the list of over the counter medicines in this treatment’s prescription because it causes one huge side effect, bleeding.
- Use ice packs or frozen peas/corn packs, it helps in reducing the swelling.
Cost Of Gum Contouring
This is maybe covered by dental insurance plans. But the cosmetic purpose isn’t involved ( to make the smile adorable). Suppose you are suffering from gum diseases, injuries, or anything which is serious, the amount of coverage will depend upon your treatment level and overall plan. Your past dental surgeries insurance will be monitored and on the basis of that total cost savings will be decided. The cost is between $100-$3000.
Receding Of Gums
In this condition, your gums are covered by your teeth, teeth begin to take more space. Eventuate due to:
- Putting up more force while brushing
- Hormonal imbalance
To reduce gum receding take below mentioned medicine if the dentist allows you then :
- Antimicrobial oral spray
- Enzyme limiting drugs
- Antibiotic gel
Repairing Of Receding Gums
There are two methods for the treatment of receding gums:
- Flap Surgery – Works best if the dentist identifies bone defects or gum diseases. It cleans the roots.
- Gum grafting – In this artificial piece of tissue is placed to broaden and lengthen the area of the gumline.
Cost Of Gum Recession
Cost lands between $500 to $10000.
Receding Gums Prevention
- Start working on good oral hygiene practices.
- Stop using spiky/pointed bristled toothbrush
- Have an appointment with a dentist once or twice in 6 months.
- Start using tongue cleaners because plaque can form in a tongue as well.
- Drink coffee/tea within a limit.
- Although acidic fruits help in treating cancer and boosts heart health, eat them in proportion because the same are responsible for damaging tooth enamel.
- People who have periodontal diseases like periodontal pocket development, alveolar bone ruination, tooth loss, etc.
- Gum recession side effect
- Gingival ulceration
- Crown lengthening
- People who are looking for gumline improvement.
- Which toothpastes are best for gum receding?
Corsodyl toothpaste is a good choice as it :
- Stops gum bleeding
- Seals the gum tightly so that teeth don’t overlap it.
- Makes tooth enamel strong
- Whitens teeth
- Is gum contouring appropriate after dental veneers and crowns?
Yes, it increases the sharpness of a smile after dental veneers and crowns. Also, it doesn’t cause any harm if it is performed in the same area where dental crowning and veneer surgeries are done.
- Does it hurt after the gum reshaping?
Yes, to some extent as gums are considered in the most sensitive parts of the body, but pain occurs after the surgery, as during the procedure local anesthesia saves you from the pain by numbing the surgical area.
- What are the risk factors attached to gum contouring?
- Gum tissue weakens
- Anesthesia’s infection or allergy.
- How many visits are required for gum contouring?
No need to worry at all! This procedure isn’t going to eat up your time, a single day is enough.
- What’s the use of a scalpel, radiosurgery, and laser in gum contouring?
On the margin of gum, the scalpel helps to mark an area.
The laser helps to reduce or stop bleeding and automatically prevents tubules from damaging. If a scalpel is not present or isn’t appropriate then radiosurgery is used.