There’s no test to definitively diagnose IBS.
Your doctor is likely to start with a complete medical history, physical exam and tests to rule out other conditions.
If you have IBS with diarrhea, you likely will be tested for gluten intolerance (celiac disease).
• Pain and Cramping. Abdominal pain is the most common symptom and a key factor in diagnosis.
• Alternating Constipation and Diarrhea.
• Changes in Bowel Movements.
• Gas and Bloating.
• Food Intolerance.
• Fatigue and Difficulty Sleeping.
• The cause of irritable bowel syndrome is currently unknown.
• It is thought to result from a combination of abnormal gastrointestinal (GI) tract movements, increased awareness of bodily functions, and a disruption in the communication between the brain and the GI tract.
• IBS-D is irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea.
not available currently