Hair transplant in women is becoming essential due to frequent hair loss. Maximum women opt for hairline surgery because that area gives rise to partial or full baldness.The desire of women is to get thick and luscious hair. But to grow and to make efforts for hair care gives a reality check to many women and that’s why they prefer hair transplant.
Consider a few factors before hair transplant.
The surgery of hair transplants in women is quite similar to that of men. Mostly baldness causes hair loss. The heredity factor also sometimes comes in between you and your hair. But also some other aspects are also responsible for hair thinning and hair loss. Such as:
- Change in diet, suppose eating spicy and oily food more often.
- Iron deficiency
- Hormonal changes such as menopause
- Taking a number of medicines
GOOD CANDIDATES FOR HAIR TRANSPLANT?
- Women who have undergone mechanical or genetic alopecia.
- Women who have used tight rubber bands for braids and ponytails.
- Women who just had any big surgery.
- Women suffered from trauma.
- Baldness just like men.
- Women who lost hair because of injury, accident, or burn.
- Women who don’t have good hair donors.
WOMEN HAIR TRANSPLANT SURGERY
Two types of surgeons are required for hair restoration surgery, dermatologist, and plastic surgeon. As this is not an intense surgery, mild or local anesthesia can be used throughout the procedure.
- First of all, doctors wash your scalp and clean it.
- The doctor temporarily paralyzes your head with local anesthesia.
- The most used techniques for hair transplants in women are FUE and FUT.
If women are in their beginning stage of hair loss or hair thinning then this is the reliable option. Hair follicles are taken out from the behind side of the head and numerous (about 1000) tiny cuts are made.
- The surgeon makes small slits with a scalpel or needle, slowly and steadily the surgeon and team members put hairs in the slits or holes.
- These slit grafts have 5-10 hairs per graft and some contain 30-40 hairs per graft, so for patients with more hair loss will need 30-40 hairs per graft and moderate hair loss requires 5-10 hairs per graft.
- This procedure requires 4-5 To different sessions depending upon the amount of hair needed.
- Then the scalp will be wrapped with bandages for some days.
- Each session takes 4 hours depending upon hair loss.
- If the doctor divides your surgery into sessions then you can expect 2nd session after 1-2 months.
ADVANTAGES OF FOLLICULAR UNIT EXTRACTION
- The healing process isn’t time-consuming
- Minor pain during and after surgery
- No or less scarring and bleeding
- Works well even in thin hair
SIDE EFFECTS OF FOLLICULAR UNIT EXTRACTION
- Hair thinning after surgery
- Numbness in the surgical area
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
Within 3-4 months it starts growing about 10-80 percent of hair growth can be noticed.
WHERE FUE CAN BE DONE APART FROM SCALP?
FUE can be done on legs, arms and in private areas mostly people with less hair growth who love bushy hairs undergo FUE procedure.
- Follicular Unit Transplant ( FUT)
- The surgeon will mark the hairline and will take the photographs before the surgery either local anesthesia or sedative is given.
- A deep cut of 2-3 millimeters will be made in the donor site.
- Hair follicles will be taken out from the strips and make the area ready for hair restoration.
- Closed with the bandages.
- Women can expect a result of a hair transplant in 4-6 months
ADVANTAGES OF FOLLICLE UNIT TRANSPLANT
- Best for more hair follicles.
- Less expensive
- Less time-consuming procedure
SIDE EFFECTS OF FOLLICLE UNIT TRANSPLANT
- Gives the artificial look of hair
- Cyst formation
WHAT’S THE COST OF HAIR TRANSPLANT IN WOMEN?
FUE procedure cost for hair restoration in women ranges from $3000 to $20000 per session.
FUT procedure cost for hair restoration in women ranges from $3000 to $15000 per session. The cost also depends on your total sessions, the surgeon’s popularity, the number of grafts implanted. You should discuss the total cost of your initial consultation. Most insurance plans do not consider female hair transplant surgery but talking to the insurance providers is useful.
NON-SURGICAL HAIR REPLACEMENT FOR WOMEN
For people who can’t afford to give thousands of dollars in every session alternative non-surgical methods are designed which works equally well.
- PROPECIA (FINASTERIDE)
The best thing about this non-surgical method is it is FDA permitted for androgenic alopecia. It blocks DHT which is indirectly responsible for hair loss and hair thinning. This procedure can be used by females and males.
- MINOXIDIL (ROGAINE)
When DHT puts pressure on the hair follicle, minoxidil(Rogaine) comes to the rescue and balances the hair follicles.
- LOW-LEVEL LASER SURGERY
It makes hair strong and hair retains its moisture and density through this treatment.
BLACK FEMALE HAIR TRANSPLANT BEFORE AND AFTER
Black females(of African origin) usually have very curly hair and sometimes this type of surgery puts surgeons in a dilemma. The hair loss in black women occurs due to traction alopecia. Also, tight braiding and hair pulling can result in hair thinning and baldness. More often straightening the hair can also be responsible for hair loss.
- The patient should keep in mind that the surgery will take more time because curls take more time.
- Surgeons might use their own handmade punch to diminish the problem in curly the curly hair follicle.
- Come 1-2 weeks before the surgery so that the doctor can work on the positioning of your hairline.
- For ladies FUE AND FUT both techniques are best they can choose either as per their preferences but scarring can happen FUE and to continue the FUE during the procedure sometimes becomes difficult. So discuss everything with the surgeon.
- Keep your scalp completely dry on the day of the surgery.
- Avoid hair cuts.
- Do hair/scalp massage by using coconut oil or cashew nut oil to promote the blood flow.
- Do necessary blood tests.
- Don’t smoke for a month or two after the surgery.
- Minimize or nullify alcohol consumption.
- Don’t use any chemically prepared or natural dye for 2-3 months.
- Use shampoo, conditioner, and oil suggested by the surgeon.
- Wear a cap or hat for 2-3 days.
- Sleep straight and don’t on the stomach.
- Don’t wash your hair for a minimum of 4 days.
- Don’t put a comb on your hair for a month at least.
- Does hair transplant in women really work?
Yes, hair transplants are in demand and very successful in women also. Grafted hair mostly manages a good blood flow in the scalp. But transplanted hair needs more care otherwise it can start thinning over time.
- Does hair transplant surgery cause pain?
Yes initially one can experience some pain but it can be controlled with anesthesia, pain relievers, and EMLA cream.
- Which medicines can be taken after the surgery?
Ibuprofen, oral steroids, and antibiotics are safe so all these can be taken after taking the permission of the surgeon.
- Is it ok to color the hair after hair transplant in ladies?
As hair follicles are very delicate one should wait until the scars heal and after 2-3 months.
- When should one expect complete results after hair transplant in ladies?
It depends, whether you keep short or long hair. For long hair, results can be seen in 18to 36 months. For short hair, it can be seen in 6-12 months.
- What to keep in mind while selecting a good surgeon for hair loss?
- Check the reviews.
- During your first appointment, ask the surgeon about the previous clients/patients and gather some information about them such as how is the condition of the scalp, healing process, etc. talk to them or send an email.
- Ask the doctor about the photos of previous clients/patients and also check whether they are staying in a different state, city, or country, if yes then contact them and take information about the doctor and its team.
- You should only select a dermatologist or plastic surgeon and see if the doctor is a double graduate or not.
- Ask about the experience and practice.
- Carefully observe that the surgeon is good with FUE and FUT both.
- Talk to the team of the surgeon also.
- Which is the right age for hair transplants in women?
Most of the surgeons allow women with 21 or above but some also allow 18 or above.
- How much time does it take to complete the hair transplantation surgery in women?
For 1000 grafts it takes 3-4 hours.
For 2000 grafts it takes 5-6 hours.