The growth of medical tourism in the world today is due to several people leaving their countries in search of cheaper, yet quality healthcare treatments in other countries.
One of such countries with this reputation is Mexico, a country that has quite a lot of Americans leaving their country for treatments because of the low cost in her hospitals.
Medical Tourism In Mexico
According to the Medical Tourism ranking, medical tourism in Mexico has been ranked among the top 5 destinations globally.
Located in the Americas, Mexico shares borders with the US and the Caribbean, making most of her health tourists from these countries. The medical tourism sector of Mexico is rapidly growing receiving over a million visitors from other countries especially the US and Canada for healthcare services.
Mexico is popular for its cosmetic, bariatric, and dental surgeries, but over the years, they have begun to add other treatments and surgeries to their list of speciality like orthopaedic surgeries.
The cost of medical tourism services in Mexico is quite affordable compared to the surrounding countries. For an American, having treatment in Mexico means saving 40 to 80 per cent of the initial cost in the US. This makes healthcare in Mexico very popular among Americans.
Not only are her treatments affordable, but Mexico is also reputed to have personalized and fine care and hospitality. Their hospitals embrace their patient’s needs and see that they bring it to actualization. The government of Mexico has also put in priority the development of medical infrastructure in the country. Several quality health facilities and centers are being established and more become JCI accredited for worldwide recognition.
Why Go For Medical Tourism In Mexico?
According to ranking, Mexico has been named the second medical tourism destination in the world. This is as a result of the number of health visitors the country records in a year. As of 2018, she recorded a total number of 1.7 million health tourists and the numbers are forecasted to increase in the coming years.
Why are the numbers so high?
- Affordable Cost Of Treatments
Treatments in Mexico allows an average saving cost of 40 to 80 per cent in comparison to the cost in the US. For example, rhinoplasty costs 50% lesser in Mexico, cardiac valve replacement, 80% less, gastric sleeve surgery, 45% less, among others. This gives people in other countries, particularly the US, to move to Mexico for healthcare. Also, the cost of medications is way cheaper than in her neighbouring countries.
- Healthcare Facilities
Mexico has prioritized the development of her healthcare/medical infrastructure, creating new innovative and quality health centres that are meeting up international standards. Her private hospitals are similar in quality and care to those in the US. Mexico currently has 9 JCI accredited hospitals, holding worldwide recognition.
- Healthcare Professionals
Doctors, surgeons, paramedics, and nurses in health centres of medical tourism in Mexico are highly qualified and trained personnel. These personnel caters to all treatments as required by medical tourists.
- Healthcare Services
Just like their facilities and professionals, their services are equally of high quality and with cheerful hospitality. They offer:
- Your private board.
- Concierge and interpreter services.
- Personalized care.
- Personal interaction with your doctor/surgeon.
- Aftercare services with therapeutic offers.
- Treatments: Mexico is famous for its cosmetic, dentistry, and bariatric treatment, and surgeries. However, the country gas started embracing a lot more medical treatments. Information from the Mexican Council for the Medical Tourism Industry relays that a high number of foreigners have come in for treatments of heart diseases, diabetes, lung diseases, orthopaedic diseases, organ and tissue transplants, cancer, gastrointestinal problems, trauma, etc.
- Waiting Time : There is little or a generally non-existent problem of waiting time in Mexico. Once you are in the country for treatment, you are quickly attended to especially when your case is in no need of a transplant.
Treatments In Mexico
Mexico can offer you the following treatments:
- Cosmetic surgery
- Aesthetic procedures (Botox, etc)
- Hip replacement
- Knee replacement
- Orthopedic surgery
- Bariatric surgery
- Eye surgery
- Cardiac surgery
- Immune Medicine
- Clinical Hematology
- Gastric Bypass
- Gastric Sleeve
- Abdominoplasty: Mini Tummy Tuck
- Arm Lift
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Implant Removal
- Breast Lift
- Breast Lift With Implants
- Breast Reconstruction (Distant Musculocutaneous Flap, Bilateral)
- Breast Reduction
- Eyelid Surgery – Upper And Lower
- Chin Implant
- Face & Neck Lift (Rhytidectomy)
- Neck Lift
- Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia)
- IUI (Intra Uterine Insemination)
- ICSI (Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection)
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
- Delivery (Cesarean Section)
- Kidney Transplantation
- Breast Cancer (TAC)
- Cervical Cancer
- Excision Of Breast Lump (Lumpectomy)
- Lung Cancer
- Ovarian Cancer
- Cataract Surgery
- Arthroscopic Shoulder
- Arthroscopic Knee
- Cochlear Implants
- Prostate Surgery
- Angioplasty Urology
- Radiology And Medical Imaging
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Body
- Laboratory Tests For Allergy
- Physical Therapy
- Oral Prophylaxis – Cleaning And Polishing
- Laser Teeth Whitening
- Extraction (Simple)
- Extraction – Wisdom Tooth
- Regular Teeth Cleaning
- Dentistry And Orthodontics
- Dental Implants
- Crowns And Bridges
- Partial Dentures
- Root Canal Treatment
- Tooth Whitening
- Bariatric or Weight Loss Surgery
- Vitrectomy + Retinal Detachment
- Cornea Transplantation
- Partial Knee Arthroplasty
Medical Tourism Cost In Mexico
The cost of medical tourism in Mexico is dependent on travel plans, flight costs, accommodation, additional services, treatment costs, and aftercare services in the country. Your country and the type of treatment can also affect the price of the service. Therefore, a total estimate cannot be given. But the fact is the cost of health tourism in Mexico is relatively 30 to 50 per cent cheaper than that of the US.
To make arrangements for travel to Mexico and to enquire about the best hospitals and doctors in the country to have your treatments with, getting in touch with a medical tourism facilitator and travel agency would be the best option. They are popular in helping people gain visas and be on a trip to their medical tourism destination with no many protocols.
Anavara is a medical facilitation and tourism agency with affiliation to various hospitals and surgeons in several health tourism countries. We can help you answer any questions you have.