The word Ayurveda is derived from two Sanskrit words; Ayur which means Life and Veda which means science or knowledge. So to simply put Ayurveda is the knowledge of life. Ayurveda is a holistic system that is predominantly based on the principle that disease is an imbalance in the person’s consciousness. It encourages the use of several therapies and lifestyle changes that allow a person to get their spirit, mind and bond in balance with their environment.
An Ayurveda treatment comprises of purification method, diet modification, yoga, meditation, massage treatment, and herbal medication.
What is endometrial hyperplasia?
The endometrium is the inner lining of the uterus. Hyperplasia is excessive cell growth. To simply put then, endometrial hyperplasia is excessive cells growth in the endometrium. It can also be described as an enhanced thickness of the endometrium. It is quite complex and a painful disease, which affects women in their reproductive years.
Generally, endometrial growths are not malignant. They are normal tissue, but growing outside their normal location. These endometrial growths, just like the lining of the uterus, respond to the hormones of the female reproductive system, and build up tissue each month, then break down to cause internal bleeding, inflammation and scarring. The most severe complication of this scarring is infertility. Infertility occurs in about 30 to 40% of women.
Other complications likely to occur are rupture of growths, which can spread these cells to other areas.
Endometrial hyperplasia treatment with Ayurveda
Ayurveda is a holistic healthcare delivery system whose procedures address both the physical and the mental aspects involved in this condition.
For endometriosis treatment in Ayurveda, the following procedures have proven useful and effective and may be adopted.
Vata predominant condition
- Oral administration of medicated oils with fat-burning properties. This is carried out using herbal extraction and powder of suitable herbs. This is used to dissolve subcutaneous fat and stimulate the nervous system and glands.
- Steaming and other heating procedures: For this technique of endometriosis treatment in Ayurveda oils are never used. This technique is useful in the blockage removal of subtle channels or srotas.
- Virechana or medicated purgation: This technique of endometriosis treatment in Ayurveda is a cleansing method. It is carried out by giving some herbal purgatives in an oil form. This eliminates the blockage of pathways of Vata humour.
- Visit or enema-like procedure: This technique of endometriosis treatment in Ayurveda is designed to clean the lower alimentary canal. It is the most effective of Ayurvedic treatment. It cleanses the subtle channels or srotas that have been spread all over the body. This is highly effective in an aggravated Vata principle through the removal of the blockage in the pathways of Vata humour and calm Vata aggravation.
- Uthara vasthi: There is a difference between this and the common vasthi, in terms of administration and quantity, and a small difference also in ingredients. For this technique of endometriosis treatment in Ayurveda, medicine is applied to the uterus through the vaginal. This technique is highly beneficial for endometriosis and infertility.
Pitta predominant condition
This endometrial hyperplasia treatment with Ayurveda is adopted when there is complain of excessive bleeding.
- Medicated purgation: this technique uses selected powder-form herbs.
- Dhara (pouring) of medicated buttermilk or decoction: This procedure of endometrial hyperplasia treatment with Ayurveda is very effective in calming down brain activities and as a result help in managing bleeding and other pitta dominant symptoms.
Kapha predominant condition
For this technique of endometrial hyperplasia treatment with Ayurveda, adhesion will be present.
- Kshara karma or application of medicated alkalis: For this technique of endometrial hyperplasia treatment with Ayurveda, specific medicinal plants will be collected, dried and burned. The ash will be then be collected and dissolved in water. The supernatant portion of the mixture will be dried to collect the kshara, which will be either orally administered through a suitable medium such as decoction, buttermilk etc. or be directly applied to accessible areas where endometrium is abnormally present.
Benefits of Endometrial hyperplasia treatment with Ayurveda
The biggest benefit of endometriosis treatment in Ayurveda is permanently curing endometrial Hyperplasia.
Other benefits are
- Reduction in blood acidity.
- Improvement in the functions of Vata, to prevent excessive blood entering the uterine vessels.
- Thickness reduction of the endometrium.
- Balances the hormones by supporting proper ovulation.
- An arrest of heavy bleeding and clotting by stringent & cold potency formulations.
- Reduces congestion in the uterus.
- What are the symptoms of Endometriosis?
- Hefty bleeding during periods
- Extended periods.
- Repeated miscarriages, and infertility.
- Clots during periods.
- Recurrent or early periods.
- Spotting in-between two periods.
- Lower back or abdominal pain during period.
- Weight gain or obesity.
- Weakness and fatigue
- Mood swing, depression, and negativity
- What are the likely causes of endometrial hyperplasia?
Endometrial hyperplasia can be caused by either too much of oestrogen or insufficient progesterone. Both oestrogen and progesterone are hormones secreted by the ovaries to control the growth and shedding of the uterine lining. Oestrogen is responsible for the growth of the uterine lining, while progesterone counterbalances the growth. Unopposed long term oestrogen production leads to an overgrowth of the uterine lining, which results in endometrial hyperplasia. The lack of progesterone production is caused by the absence of ovulation.
- Is endometrial hyperplasia cancer or infectious disease?
Endometrial hyperplasia is an infectious disease not a cancer growth. It can be a result of chlamydia, gonorrhoea, vaginal infection and tuberculosis.
- Can I get pregnant while battling endometrial hyperplasia?
Yes, it is possible to get pregnant while battling endometriosis. About 50 to 60% of women with endometriosis are fertile.
- What are the likely home remedies for endometriosis?
- Heat: This has proven to be one of the most effective home remedies for endometriosis. It relaxes the pelvic muscles, thus reducing cramps and pain. Warm baths, hot water bottles, or heating pads are some of the things that can be used as a heat source.
- The Council anti-inflammatory drugs: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen and naproxen, can offer quick relief from painful cramps caused by endometriosis. They are, however, best taken with food or drink to prevent stomach upset and ulcers.
- Castor oil: For hundreds of years this has been used as endometriosis natural treatment. This technique is advisably used before the menstrual flow, and not during. For use, you massage the castor oil directly into the abdomen. It can be mixed with few drops of a relaxing essential oil, such as lavender, to help relax the pelvic muscles.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is known to have strong anti-inflammatory properties which can benefit people experiencing endometriosis symptoms. Researches have also found that it has the ability to prevent endometrial growth. Take this by boiling a cup of water and add a teaspoon of both turmeric and ginger powder. Honey and lemon may also be added. Take this three times daily to relieve symptoms, and once daily, at least, when you’re using it for maintenance.
- Pelvic massages: This helps relaxes the pelvic muscles and reduce inflammation and cramps. This can be done with a high-quality lavender essential oil. However, this can only be used before the menstrual period to prevent symptoms aggravation.